07 December, 2009

Today I lay old ghosts to rest

A person I know said that people have moments of absolute clarity, when you see everything as it is, when bullshit fades and you see the plain, unvarnished truth.

Today, I had a moment of clarity.

I saw that I was letting the past choke me. I let it stifle me.
I was being poisoned, dying bit by bit.

I then knew what I had to do.

I had to let the past go.

I called the person in my past. talked.
I asked if we could be friends again. She wasn't sure.


I set the past free.

It doesn't matter now whether she says yes or no. It doesn't matter anymore. For the first time in almost a year, I am free.

Because I let the past go.
I buried the dead.
I gave the past it's due.
In the end that's all anyone can do. Well, that and live.

No comments: